Wednesday, February 13, 2013

WHAT’S WRONG WITH NIGERIAN STOCK MARKET REPORTS?


The short answer is that they are useless for stock market investors.

Whenever I read a local newspaper report on market activity on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) I’m just frustrated. All you get is that the market gyrated by some basis points and who the gainers and losers were. That’s it.

There’s hardly any mention of what moved - or could have moved - the market or a stock. Nothing inspires or motivates you to look deeper into the market or a stock for possible investment. Nothing makes you curious about stocks or the stock market. It’s like the journalists are too lazy to write something insightful.

For example, look at the stock market report for Monday, February 11, 2013, from Nigeria’s Business Day. Now compare that report to this report for Tuesday, February 12, 2013 from Reuters on U.K. market activity. See the difference? Nigerian commentators don’t try to connect the dots for uninitiated readers.

It’s no different when I hear a market report on radio.

Maybe this lack of easily-accessible and insightful stock market information is why most Nigerians don’t care about investing in stocks, which remains one of the easiest and fastest ways to make money wherever you are in the world.

I’m amazed at the increasing number of Foreign Exchange (forex) trading seminar ads I see in Nigerian newspapers. I doubt Nigerians trade forex in droves. Nonetheless, if Nigerians can take to forex trading then they can take to stocks trading because the forex market is a lot more complex than the stock market and Nigerians love simplicity.

Nigerian stock market commentators and writers need to do more than report statistics. The Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal are dailies yet they certainly try to get behind the numbers.

The regulators should take note. There’s no point in the Central Bank of Nigeria and/or the Securities and Exchange Commission compelling companies to list on the NSE when a majority of Nigerians don’t have the financial education to invest in the stock market.

I became a self-directed investor in 2006 - a year after I got out of B-School in the U.S. At the time I knew nada about investing in stocks, other than what I’d learned at B-School.

I learned the basics of stock market investing mostly from reading financial dailies and periodic magazines – Fortune Magazine is great for investigative journalism. I also frequented educational sites like the Motley Fool (www.fool.com) and Investopedia (www.investopedia.com).

I was so excited about what I was learning that I started this blog to share as I learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very apt analysis. I stopped following Nigerian Business reports a long time ago as the information one needs is never available. We simply invest sentimentally in Nigeria. We are more into the names of the big companies rather than business projections of listed companies.

J.I