Thursday, April 30, 2009

Africa On My Mind

Africa remains the only region I am currently not exposed to in any meaningful shape or form. I say meaningful because I do have a small exposure to South Africa and Egypt through the MSCI Emerging Markets Index Fund (EEM), which is one of my favorite holdings.

I don't want to be exposed to just one Africa country, so what I'm looking for is an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) stock that covers several African countries. To this end, I've got the Market Vectors Africa ETF (AFK) on my watch list.

When I took a closer look at AFK, i realized it's heavily weighted in the fastest growing sectors of the continent, such as telecommunications and banking, which is a good thing.

At this point I'm yet to find another ETF similar to AFK in exclusivity to Africa, so right now it's in pole position to become the portfolio flagbearer for Africa. I shall decide soon.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: